PLAR Application Instructions

Getting sTARTED 

This information is intended for individuals who are internationally educated and who wish to have their education and training assessed through the Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) process. 

This is the appropriate application and assessment route if you are intending to apply to Ryerson University’s Certificate for Internationally Educated Nutrition Professionals (IEPN) or an accredited practicum in Ontario.

If you have been referred to the College by an accredited internship or practicum program in Canada, you should choose the credential assessment.  

If this is not you, click on the following if you:

The following is a list of the documents that are required with your application form. Some documents, like assessments from World Education Services, must be sent directly to the College by a third party. Make sure you plan for these documents to prevent any delays at the end of the application process.

NOTE: During the COVID-19 pandemic, all College staff are working remotely until further notice. You may email your completed application form and proof of authorization to work in Canada directly to:

Please request institutions to send all other documentation such as transcripts, practicum completion letters, language proficiency test results, etc. directly to the College at:

Any mailed documentation must be sent via regular mail (not registered mail). All mail will be routed by Canada Post to an alternate address. DO NOT deliver any documentation to the College office by hand or by courier service, as no one is there to receive it.

Important Note:

Registration Program staff are available to answer questions about the application process and required documents, however registration decisions are made by the Registrar and/or the Registration Committee. Registration Program staff cannot tell you whether or not you meet the requirements or predict whether you will be eligible for registration with the College.

Application form

Please note the following important information about submitting your application:

  • The Application Form may be sent by email to:;
  • Review your form to make sure you have completed and signed all sections of the form. If any section of your application form is incomplete, you will be required to submit a new form.
  • All applications are processed in the order in which they are received.

World Education Services (WES) Assessment Report

You must include a WES assessment for all university education that you completed outside of Canada, with the exception of education from universities in the United States that have regional accreditation.  The WES assessment will confirm whether your degree is equivalent to the university level in Canada.

Please request a course-by-course evaluation.   You may choose to have WES send your transcript to the College through their ICAP service.  

Official Transcripts

You must arrange for official transcripts to be sent directly to the College from either World Education Services (WES) or each post-secondary institution that you have attended.

This includes transcripts related to:

  • Your nutrition/dietetics degree
  • Any other degrees you have completed
  • Any other post-secondary institution where you have completed other courses (for example transfer credits or upgrading courses)
Important Information about transcripts
  • You can submit official transcripts that have been provided to you by your university if the transcripts are provided unopened with a university seal on the envelope.
  • The College accepts electronic transcripts delivered through a secured university site and/or directly from universities via password-protected or secured PDF files.
  • Please request transcripts to be sent directly to​.
  • If the transcript related to a degree does not state that the degree was conferred or awarded, you must arrange for the University to provide an official letter confirming that all degree requirements have been met. This letter must also be sent directly to the College from the University to​.

Practical Training Information

Your application must include information to confirm that you have completed practical training.  If practical training is not indicated on your official transcript from the university, you must arrange for either:

  • A letter, sent directly to the College by the university or other institution, which confirms that you completed practical training in dietetics, or
  • A letter, sent directly to the College by the university, regulatory body, or hospital, which confirms that your degree qualifies you to practice as a dietitian in the country where the university is located.

Please request practical training completion letters to be sent directly to​.

Name Change Information

If your official transcripts are under a different name than the one you are currently using, you must enclose proof of your change in name with this application (e.g. document showing your old name (i.e. marriage certificate) and a government issued ID showing your current name (i.e. driver’s license, passport). You may email proof of name change documentation to:​.

Proof of Language Proficiency

You must be able to show proficiency in either English or French. To demonstrate language proficiency, you must submit either:

  • A valid (within the past two years) report sent directly to the College by an approved testing agency, and which meet the minimum required score
    • IELTS (academic) with an overall band score of 6.5
    • TOEFL iBT with a total Score of 79


  • An official letter, sent directly to the College by the school or education institution, confirming that the medium of instruction was English for your secondary or post-secondary education.

Please request proof of language proficiency to be sent directly to​.

Important Note:

The language requirement to take the PLAR assessment is lower than the language requirement for registration with the College.   Once you have successfully completed the PLAR process, your application will be assessed against the remaining Registration Requirements, including the language proficiency requirement. 

Translation of documents received in a language other than English or French

You are responsible to pay for the costs of translation of any documents related to your application that are in a language other than English or French.The translations must be completed by a translator in Canada, who is ATIO certified. For documents which are sent directly to the College by a third party, you will provide the name of the translator that you have appointed.When the documents have been received from the University and/or other institution, the College will then forward the documents directly to the translator.

Submit Your Application Form and Fees

Once your application form is complete, email it along with any supporting documents to Upon receipt of your application form you will be instructed on how to pay all required fees.

The College will begin processing your application when it receives your completed application form and all required fees.

The PLAR is an assessment of your dietetics knowledge and skills.  Once you have successfully completed the PLAR, the College request additional information to assess your application against the remaining Registration Requirements

The CDRE is a non-exemptible requirement. This means that you must pass the CDRE in order to become eligible for registration. To be eligible to write the CDRE, you must be assessed by a provincial regulatory body to have met the education and practical training requirements. Click here for more information about the CDRE.  

It will take 5-10 business days from the time that the College receives all of the required documents for you to receive a decision about your eligibility for the PLAR process. Please note that this is a guideline only. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure the timely delivery of all documentation and other information requested by the College.

Factors that may delay the processing of your application include:

  • Failing to complete and sign all sections of the application form;
  • Failing to arrange for official transcripts and letters confirming the completion of your dietetics degree and practical training; 
  • Failing to provide evidence that demonstrates language proficiency in English;
  • Information about your conduct or health that may require further review and follow-up;
  • Failing to produce other documents requested by the College;

Only members of the College can practise as a dietitian in Ontario using the titles “dietitian,” “Registered dietitian (RD),” “Dietetiste (Dt.P),” or “Dietetiste Professional (Dt.P).”

It is illegal for anyone to use any of these titles in Ontario without a valid certificate of registration issued by the College.

Your status as an RD informs the public that all individuals who identify themselves as dietitians have the knowledge, skill and judgment required to provide safe and ethical dietetics care.

If you wish to begin practicing dietetics while you wait for the result of the CDRE, you have the option of applying for a Temporary Certificate of Registration.  See Temporary Class for more information.