Resigning from the College

You must formally notify the College online or by email if you intend to resign from your membership.

  • To resign online, please login to the members dashboard and select "Resign your Membership" link.
  • Your date of resignation cannot be back-dated. It must be either the date at which you request your resignation or a future specified date.
  • The effective date of resignation means you are no longer registered to practice dietetics in Ontario from this date onwards.

Please review the College’s resignation policy for details.

Please ensure the email address we have on file for you is accessible following your resignation, and update this accordingly before you submit your resignation. To update your email address, login to your member dashboard, select update my profile, and click on personal information.
In addition, please ensure the domain name is on your safe sender list so that College emails are not going directly to your junk, spam, or promotions folder.

Avoid Suspension and Revocation

The College will not resign your membership unless you submit a formal notice. Even if you have moved outside of Ontario or spoken with College staff about your plans to resign, you remain a member until you formally resign.

If you simply do not complete your annual renewal, you will be suspended for non-payment of fees and eventually your certificate will be revoked.  Suspensions and revocations are noted in a person's record and will display in the Register of Dietitians indefinitely.

Consult the College website for more information about suspension, revocations and the information appearing on the Register of Dietitians.

Use of the Dietitian Title

Under the Dietetics Act, 1991, once you have resigned from the College you are prohibited from using the title "dietitian", a variation or abbreviation or an equivalent in another language. You are also prohibited from holding yourself out as a person who is qualified to practice in Ontario as a dietitian or in a specialty of dietetics. A breach of the Act could result in a fine of up to $25,000 for a first offence and $50,000 for a subsequent offence.

Returning to the College

After you have resigned, if you wish to return to the College you will be required to submit a new application. You must meet the registration requirements in effect at the time of your new application. Consult the Applicants section of the website for information how to apply to the College.

For any questions, please email