Regulation Matters 2018 - Issue 1

How Does the College Monitor Compliance with Professional Liability Insurance?

Do the documents confirm that you are covered by this insurance? 

If you provide a certificate that does not personally name you, (for example, a certificate which covers “all dietitians working at ABC Corporation”), you must also provide evidence that you are an employee of ABC Corporation to confirm that you would be covered by this insurance.

Do the documents show that you are currently covered and that you have been covered since April 1 of last year?  

Most insurance is renewed on an annual basis. You may need to provide more than one certificate to demonstrate that:
  • You have had insurance in place since April 1 of last year, and
  •  You currently have insurance coverage.

Does the insurance meet the requirements set out in College By-Law?  

Staff will search the documents you have provided to confirm that the insurance meets the three requirements set out in College by-Law:
  • Minimum coverage of no less than $2,000,000 per occurrence,
  • Aggregate coverage of no less than $5,000,000, and
  • A deductible of no more than $1,000.
If the documents you have submitted do not provide information about all three requirements (e.g. if it does not mention a deductible), you will be required to submit additional document within 14 days.

Is the information consistent with information that you provided on your annual renewal form?

The College will consult the information that you provided at annual renewal regarding your practice status and your liability insurance coverage. You may be asked for an explanation if the information you provided at renewal conflicts with the information you provided about your insurance coverage.

The Registrar & ED will review all documents where the member is found to have a gap in their insurance coverage or where the member makes a declaration about their practice which conflicts with the declarations made at renewal. Depending on the circumstances, the Registrar may refer the member to the Inquiries, Complaints and Reports Committee (ICRC) for investigation of professional misconduct.